Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .com.au suffix being added to co.uk

Hi,

I have a very strange DNS issue occuring on my internal network. DNS setup is 2003 Active Directory Integradted with approx 15 domain controllers. Our domain name is qwerty.com.au

We are currently using root hint servers to resolve external dns requests and we are not using dns forwarding to specific servers. All PC and Servers nic dns settings are set to default ie, no extra suffix addresses listed etc and all pc and server nic dns server settings are pointing to the domain controllers.

The issue i have is, from mxtoolbox.com if i do a dns lookup on mail.xzy.co.uk it resolves the correct ip for me ie 1.2.3.4

However when i try and do a nslookup for mail.xyz.co.uk from cmd prompt on any pc or server on my internal network, it will resolve to ip 2.2.2.2 and the non authoritive answer name will have .com.au appended to it, ie mail.xyz.co.uk.com.au

If i then go back to mxtoolbox.com and perform a dns lookup on mail.xyz.co.uk.com.au it turns out to be a real public address and resolves to ip 2.2.2.2

What i have found is that with any .co.uk fqdn i try and do a nslookup on it will append the com.au to it and will resolve it to ip 2.2.2.2, even if i typed mail.bbc.co.uk the non authoritive answer name will have .com.au appended to it, ie mail.bbc.co.uk.com.au and resolves to ip 2.2.2.2

If i was to type a germain fqdn in nslookup ie, mail.germancars.de it will not append .com.au to the non authoritive answer name and will therefore resolve to the correct address.

If i was to ping mail.xyz.co.uk with internal network it will resolve the correct ip being 1.2.3.4

If i specify any random public external dns server to perform the nslookup in cmd prompt it will still append .com.au to the non authoritive answer name and will resolve to 2.2.2.2

If i set the random public external dns server on the nic of the pc or server, mail.xyz.co.uk will resolve the correct ip that being 1.2.3.4

Basically .com.au suffix is appended to every .co.uk nslookup request and will always resolve to ip address 2.2.2.2 for any .co.uk request

Does anyone have any ideas on what may be going on and how I can fix this so .com.au is not appended to every .co.uk internal request.

Thanks Craig
    Last edited by Craig_Han; 14th December 2011, 13:22.
Working...
X