No announcement yet.

Child Domain DNS

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child Domain DNS

Hi all.

I wonder if someone can shed some light on this for me... Its really been bugging me for a while.

This is all in a test environment.

I would just like to know how to configure DNS on windows server 2003 when a child domain is added to that existing domain.

I have the following:

1)Windows Server 2003 with AD (Domain = eg

2) IP address This server is pointing to itself for dns.

3) DNS installed with AD integrated Zone

Ive added another windows server 2003 server. I have created another domain (child domain) in the above domain... This domain name is

1) Ip address Dns was pointing to above server to join it to the exisitng AD (

My question now is:

Should each domain controller be pointing to itself ??

Do I add a secondary zone (copy of each zone on the opposite server using the IP address of the relative server or can i right click on the zone on each server in Active directory and choose to replicate the specific zone to all domain controllers in the AD forest ??

What would be the correct way to go about this...

Any help will be appreciated...

Many thanks...

Re: Child Domain DNS

For me, it is difficult to provide you with the best advise without really knowing what the requirements are. There are many ways to design DNS, but it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish, security requirements, network bandwidth, etc...

For instance, one design would allow the child domain to be located in the same zone file as the parent domain. Separating the zones creates additional paths for you to design. Do you want to replicate this zone with other DNS servers? Should you consider implementing conditional forwarding among your DNS infrastructure, or set the replication forest wide? There is no right or wrong, just depends on what the goals are. All options are valid.

With regard to having the DC point to itself, you are going to find that some say yes and others will say no. There are two schools of thought on this one...
    JM @ IT Training & Consulting