Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS Forwarder Question

Hello
    I currently have two different domains (domaina.local & domainb.dom).
    I've created a trust between the two and setup DNS.

Each DNS server for each domain shows the other DNS server in the Name Server tab.

My question is... do I need a forwarder also for the domains to be able to communicate?

Thanks,
    Adam

Re: DNS Forwarder Question

A Windows domain trust doesn't require shared DNS servers or a shared DNS namespace, so why is domainA DNS server listed as a name server for domain B and vice versa?

Or are you saying that you've configured each domain to use the other domain's DNS server as a conditional forwarder for that domain (domainA DNS server has domainB DNS server configured as a conditional forwarder for domainB and vice versa)?

Comment

Users in both domains would like to access shared resources with each other and I've not found a way to make this without DNS. I could have users access shared folders by IP address instead of FQDN but that would be no fun.

Comment

You didn't exactly answer the questions that I asked but it sounds like you're looking to set up conditional forwarding. If that's the case then you can set up conditional forwarding in each domain to forward requests for the other domain to the respective DNS server(s) in that other domain. You should NOT set each domains DNS server as a name server in the opposite domain.

Comment

Is it possible for hosts in DomainA to ping hosts in DomainB without using their FQDN? I've got the conditional forwarders setup but I have to use FQDN's to communicate with hosts in each domain. Not a big deal to type the extra, but just curious if it's possible to get around.

Comment

They could do that if you configured a DNS suffix search list for those clients for the remote domain. By default a Windows domain joined client will append its domain primary DNS suffix to single label queries. The DNS server will respond with an answer from the AD DNS zone that it is authoritative for. In order to ping single label names in zones other than the AD DNS zone the client needs to submit a query for that zone (via a DNS suffix search list) in order for the DNS server to answer or forward queries for that zone.

You can configure a DNS suffix search list for domain joined clients through Group Policy.

Comment

Working...
            X