DNS Forward Zone Not Updating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS Forward Zone Not Updating

Running DNS on two 2008 R2 Servers setup as AD integrated for both Forward and all Reverse zones. Most of client computers on the domain are XP. All the clients are setup using static addressing. The DNS suffix name is in there, the DNS and DHCP services are also all started and running on each client.

In DNS the following was set:
    -Type AD Integrated
    -Replication All domain controllers in this domain
    -Dynamic Updates None (why that was like that who knows)
    -Scavenging is not in use yet

I changed Dynamic updating to Secure and NonSecure since I was not sure how it would affect all the non windows servers currently in there. Anyhow, came back two days later, and only a very few number of machines have updated in forward dns represenative of Timestamp value changing from Static to an actual time. The vast majority still say static.

First off shouldnt they be updating now if the default update time for XP is 24 hours, and I have Dynamic updating on now???

If I run ipconfig /registerdns from any of the clients. Nothing happens. There is no error any of the event logs (server or local) and the static entry in forward never updates. If I restart the machine, it still does not update.

The only way it seems I can get the record in forward to timestamp and shows its dynamic is if I actually delete the entry in DNS and then either ipconfig /registerdns or just restart the dhcp service. Whats up with that??? Im lost. Permissions? I noticed on each record that there is an account called Self with special permissions, yet when you drill down there are none set.

I hate to have to delete all this suff in forward, because I am not sure which items actually need to be static. Plus if I delete it in forward it removes it in reverse which some applicationsare using, then they have issue.

Can someone offer some advice on this?

Thanks
    Chris

Re: DNS Forward Zone Not Updating

Static DNS records are not owned by the client, so therefore it will not update itself.
    Best thing to do is to delete the records as you already find out, and let the clients re-register itself.

Are there many clients in DNS?

Oh and enable scavaging straight away
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Thanks, I can understand that. That must be why the reverse is updating. The only issue with deleting is not knowing which ones need to stay static because they are non windows machines and how long for them to self-register. Is it 24 hours?

I guess I could try out scagenging, but a little confused on that. Read a couple of different things. One said it will not delete anything static. The other said if never used it will clean out everything and you will need to re-add all the static addresses. There are about 300 servers, so naturally if thats the case, I would have to have a list of what needed to be added back.

As for desktops, we are talking over 3500

Comment

I would do it over the weekend. reboot you're servers, restart the DHCP client service on the server or run an ipconfig /registerdns to re-register you're servers.
        With psexec you might do it remotely. Or use something like this: http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com...d-88c37898ccc4

If you allow nonsecure dynamic updates Linux systems can also update themselves in a Windows DNS.
        Or just let Windows DHCP server handle it for Linux systems (maybe with a reservation if needed)

Scavaging will not clean out static routes. Would be pretty anoying if you setup some static DNS entries for intra websites or such
        Last edited by Dumber; 20th September 2011, 13:26.
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Thanks Dumber. That's actually what I started doing yesterday. Psexecing all the devices on the network. Basically flushing, restarting dhcp and re-registering. After a few minutes the static entries in DNs seem to clear up and the new timestamped entry is there. Got prob about 2000 done this way so far.

Comment

Working...
          X