Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with my office web site from inside the network

hi everyone, i hope that here is the right place for my problem :

i have a 2003SBS Server with a Static IP, An Internet site which is hosted on the ISP's servers and a 3Com router which is used as a dialler only and connected to a Forti gateway.

my pb is that i can't access my Website from inside my network but only from the outside.
    even if i connect my 3Com directly to the computer and bypassing the server, the ping stops at the router . (i must mention also that the 3Com is supposed to be completely transparent).

can anyone help with that please ???

thanks allot .

Re: Problem with my office web site from inside the network

Are you using the same fqdn inside and outside the LAN?
    Can you ping by IP?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

hi Ossian, thanx for the answer.

it's the same fqdn and i can't ping my website from inside the network. it stops at the router.

can the problem come from the ISP itself ? they might block addresses who come from inside my network ?

Comment

If it is the same FQDN your DNS server will be trying to resolve it locally. Thats why the normal recommendation is still use separate name spaces internally and externally

You could try adding a "www" record in YOUR dns server pointing to the correct external IP -- if you can ping that
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

the thing is that even if i connect the router directly to a computer and don't pass via my server and the DNS server, it's still causing the same problem.

i need to add an A record with the site address and the ip address on the side ?

Comment

Yes

With the direct connection, have you tried to flush the DNS cache first, otherwise it will still think your DNS server is authoritative

Can you confirm the IP address is pingable from inside your LAN -- if not, all bets are off
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

well, when i tracert it from inside the LAN it stops at the 3Com . can it be a problem with my ISP who blocks connection to my site from inside the LAN ?

Comment

Very unlikely to be your ISP -- why would they block connections to one site only?
                Any other web filtering / monitoring in place?
                Can you ping it from elsewhere?
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

hi Ossian,

thanks for the help .

well, i can't ping from inside the network but i can ping it from the outside. when i tracert my site it stops at my 3Com for some reason, even thoght there are no restrictions .
                  my IP address is a fix one and the 3Com has an address with a subnet of 255.255.255.252.

any ideas maybe ? i'm kind of desperate .

Comment

Working...
                  X