Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Root Hints - Internet Domain Resolution

hi, can anyone assist?
    I'm testing changing external dns resolution from our parent company to using the internet root hint servers. I've created a dns server with no zones. This server is natted behind our external firewall's external address and udp53 is open. Just to ensure that natting is working correctly I've also got icmp / tcp 53 open and can ping and tracert to a root hint server - 198.41.0.4
    I've tried it stand-alone server (w2008r2 and w2003r2). I've also tried creating a domain and using a domain name not registered on the web (w2003 domain).
    When I try nslookup I get "dns request timed out" - any ideas would be great?
    Thanks in advance,
    Paul

Re: Root Hints - Internet Domain Resolution

Sounds like you have all the necessary ports open. There is usually a file under the %systemroot%/system32/dns folder called CACHE.dns. This is where you usually have all the externally accessible ROOT servers listed so that a request that is not contained within your zones can go up the chain through these in order to get a name resolution.

In your case, you may have to edit this file and point it to your internal root hint server. Not sure, if you have to stop and start your DNS server for it to pickup the new CACHE.dns file entries. Hope that this helps. There is also a great aricle on Microsoft Technet that may be of help. Just do a search on Root Hints File once you are on Technet.

Comment

Re: Root Hints - Internet Domain Resolution

Hi yasser_khan,
      Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay in responding. Thanks, I had a look at the articles but no luck as this server is connected to the web through 2 firewalls. Going to try and get DNS resolution off the ISP to see if anything is working for me, IE: is it network or server related.
      Thanks again,
      Paul

Comment

Working...
      X