Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse DNS/SPF records for externally hosted DNS

Hi All,

I've recently changed our domain name for email and its with a hosted dns service. We occasionally get the odd bounce back from other domains with our emails. I was wondering if someone could please clarify what the necessary stages are to cover all angels so that reverse dns works when other mail servers are querying our mail and also the general guidelines which are necessary when your dns is external?

I hope this makes sens - thanks

Re: Reverse DNS/SPF records for externally hosted DNS

Reverse DNS and SPF are two different things, not related at all.

First
    Reverse DNS is a lookup of the sending server IP and translates that to a domain. Only the ISP (or hosting people, in your case) can edit that. If this a shared server then its not possible to edit, since many domains me be attached to this IP.

Second
    For SPF your would create a TXT dns record that details the allowed IP's or domains that are allowed to send email as your @domain.com, you should use an online SPF generator to guide you through that. You would add this to the same DNS server that you have your MX records, or A records.
    see here
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Re: Reverse DNS/SPF records for externally hosted DNS

Fantastic, didnt even know there was a tool for creating these. Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X