Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS entry for Sharepoint 2010 central administration can' be created

Hello all,
    I realized now that I put myself up a creak by renaming the server on which Sharepoint was installed which is also a domain controller. After renaming it, and then running dcpromo again to promote the domain, I now need to create a DNS record pointing to the main central administration panel since the new name didn't get associated with it. I tried to create one under my domain name, and i was sent back the following error: "Host could not be created. Node could not be created." Then doing that, do I have to create a new zone first? Is that way I was unable to associate the DNS entry? Thanks. And I did it as a type A. Was this correct? Thanks for the hand, guys. (I'm quite new to DNS, but I'm even newer to domain controllers and Sharepoint 2010).

Chromebuster

Re: DNS entry for Sharepoint 2010 central administration can' be created

Do you know the port number used for Central Administration? You could try via the IP address. For example, https://192.168.0.1:1234

If you want to associate a new name with it, you can look at setting up a host header. If you open up IIS and then select the site hosting Central Administration and look for a link on the right called Host headers.

Comment

I did, but now I can't remember it for it basically went out of existence once the domain controller was demoted and then repromoted. I was also trying to use a DNS entry because that's what Microsoft would have told me to do. And not to mention, I want to be able to access it by name rather than IP address from a different computer.

Comment

If you review IIS, you should be able to locate the port number via the web site created for central administration's web application.

Have you got a shortcut still pointing to Central Administration? Does that reference a port number?

Comment

I'll definitely review that. I know for sure that I still have the shortcut for it, but right now, it only leads to a HTTP404 error.

Comment

Does the Internet page that opens not reference a URL?

Comment

I'll tell you that I reinstalled Sharepoint yesterday, and it went well till I opened the central administration URL. It gave me a 500.19 error, and I have no idea why. I'm waiting for Microsoft's input on that. I no longer think it's a DNS issue or at least not yet anymore.

Comment

Working...
              X