DNS for Intranet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS for Intranet

I've set up a website using iis in Server 2008 R2.

The domain is contoso.local and I made the site intranet.contoso.local and pointed it to an index.html file in the directory I specified in the web site wizard as C:\intranet\index.html

It's still looking to the internet instead of to the iis server. I created an A record for intranet.contoso.local to point to the same server it's on but it's still going to the internet to resolve.

Can anyone help? I think this is a dns issue so I'm posting it here.

Thanks,

Allen

Re: DNS for Intranet

I had tried before to create an A Record and it wasn't working... however after deleting and recreating, it is working now. Please delete/lock the thread.

Allen

Comment

even if you create A record in the host file wil help you the same.. for this you dont want DNS server at all...

host file path

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file

Cheers!
      Kottees

Comment

there are VERY few real-world situations where you'd want to use a hosts file.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
          there are VERY few real-world situations where you'd want to use a hosts file.
          What?
          You mean I shouldn't be trying to keep all sites and IPs on the entire internet in a hosts file (now multi-terabyte in size) I ftp to each client machine overnight?
          Can there really be a better way?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            What?
            You mean I shouldn't be trying to keep all sites and IPs on the entire internet in a hosts file (now multi-terabyte in size) I ftp to each client machine overnight?
            Can there really be a better way?
            You have one of those too????

Comment

i dont need name resolution, i have the entire internet backed up on my hard drive.
              i just browse through the disk.
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I thought only Chuck Norris did that
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Chuck Norris roundhouse kicks DNS in the face until it gives him what he wants.

Comment

hmmm.............

Comment

Working...
                    X