Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add New Win2003 DNS Servers

Hello,

In the near future I am going to remove two older servers form our Win2003 R2 domain. I have added the two newer systems to the domain. Transferred the FSMO roles. Installed DNS and they are all Active Directory-Integated. When I remove the older systems do I need to do anything to the DNS on the older systems? Remove them from the Name Servers tab in DNS? When the two older systems are removed from the domain there will be three DC's. If they all are Active Directory-Integated is there one system that would be considered as the "master" DNS server? If so, how would I check that?
    If all DNS servers are Active Directory-Integated would I need to have the Allow Zone Transfer box checked?

Thank you

Re: Add New Win2003 DNS Servers

You will need to check retired servers have been removed from the name server tab on all DNS zones (forward and reverse)

Also reconfigure DHCP and static IPs to reference the new servers.

All ADI servers are equal.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by derdude View Post
      If all DNS servers are Active Directory-Integated would I need to have the Allow Zone Transfer box checked?
      If all your DNS servers are also DC you don't need to enable zone transfers. The DNS replication is done as set on the DNS replication scope as part of AD replication.
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Thanks. Worked fine. Getting a: Event Source: MRxSmb,Event ID: 8003 now. One of the older DC's. I did not add WINS and configure the NIC to point to a WINS server on the two new systems. One is now the FSMO system. Did not get the 8003 until adding the new systems.

Comment

Working...
        X