DNS shows wrong IP on static ip

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS shows wrong IP on static ip

I am running win server 2003 r2. I have 1 system setup as a Domain controller / DNS and another server with a static IP.

I tried setting up RAS on the second server but the started showing the RAS IP and not the server IP. I have disabled RAS on that server and the DNS won't change the IP to the static IP address.

I have tried editing the A record, deleting the A record, changing the IP of the server then changing it back to static and everytime the DNS server puts the other server back the the RAS address.

The second servers IPconfig doesn't show that IP address any more (only has the one static IP address now.)

Thanks for any help.

Re: DNS shows wrong IP on static ip

there is an option to "register this connection in dns"
    you need tro make sure that's not ticked on the RRAS interface.

then, run ipconfig /registerdns after deleting the erroneous one.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      there is an option to "register this connection in dns"
      you need tro make sure that's not ticked on the RRAS interface.

then, run ipconfig /registerdns after deleting the erroneous one.

I tried removing the register this connection in DNS, it wouldn't. So I removed the RAS, there is no longer a connection / network card attached to the IP address it's assigning the server.

The server now only has 1 network adapter, with an IP address of .201, the DNS server keeps listing it as .55

I have a really bad solution going, I changed the A record and removed all change permissions from the record. I would really like a better solution.

Comment

Have you tried leaving it as DHCP but setting a reservation for the MAC address? As long as you have the right settings on the DHCP server for updating DNS then it should theoretically keep the details right.

Comment

So are you saying you unticked the box that says "regsiter this connection in DNS" and it errored? or did it just not untick it? Or did it untick it and then once you clicked ok it had reverted back once you checked it again?

I find this very odd and it is actually impossible for a machine to register itself with DNS with an IP if it is not assigned to it. This is using Windows RRAS though which brings me onto my next point.

When you say you installed RAS is this the Windows RRAS component or some 3rd party program? Because as far as I know RRAS once installed and configured does not create a netwok adapter for RRAS and there is NO WAY to eenable this tick box for RRAS. If there is can someone tell me where it is?

This leads me to believe you have a 3rd party RAS program installed, please confirm.

Comment

Working...
          X