Cannot Resolve DNS problem on 2003 and 2008 Windows Servers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot Resolve DNS problem on 2003 and 2008 Windows Servers

Hello to all at Petri, my name is Rob Williams and this is first post at petri,

Iím trying to build a Windows Active directory test lab, where my domain controller is configured to also run as a DNS server within Windows Server 2003 as well as it being my active directory server. To get familiar with the new features of Windows 2008 server, Iíve created a second workstation running Windows 2008 as a member server, this second server is my DHCP server (I wanted to try something different, where my host machines within my internal network are getting their IP addresses from a second server) .

One the problems Iím having is getting my 2008 server to connect to the DC (Domain Controller, on the 2003 Server) The response I get is as follows : an attempt to resolve the DNS name of a domain controller is the domain being joined has failed. Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS server that can resolve DNS names in the target domain

When I do an NSLOOKUP on the domain controller (the 2003 Server running active Directory DC) it comes back with the following response: ďCanít find server name for address XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX, Timed out, Default Server: UnknownĒ

Can anyone help me with this problem or point me in the direction where I can resolve it, this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Re: Cannot Resolve DNS problem on 2003 and 2008 Windows Servers

The response you get on the W2K3 server when running nslookup is perfectly normal. You don't have a reveres lookup zone for your subnet and when you run nslookup it tries to resolve the name of the server configured as the DNS server in the DNS client settings of the TCP/IP protocol of the NIC. The DNS client and server components are two independent components and the DNS client on the DNS server acts like any other Windows DNS client.

As for the error message when trying to join the W2K8 server to the domain, do you have the W2K8 server configured to use the W2K3 server for DNS? If not, then that's likely the problem.

Comment

I was of the opinion that i had it configured this way, the ip address assigned to the W2K8 has a static IP assigned to it. Can you tell me how best to solve this problem

Comment

My point was that in the TCP/IP properties of the NIC on the W2K8 server you should have the ip address of the W2K3 server as the primary DNS server. Is that how you have it?

Are the W2K8 and the W2K3 server on the same subnet? Can you ping the ip address of the W2K3 server from the W2K8 folder and vice versa?

Comment

Yes that's exactly how i have it, I can ping the W2K3 from th3 W2K8 server and vise versa, that what really has me confuse

Comment

Is the firewall running on the 2003 machine?

If you are sure the IP config is set OK then there's always the possibility of a faulty cable or switch.

Maybe you could post up the IPV4 part of ipconfig /all from both machines (2008 will have IPV6 stuff but the 2003 won't by default).

Anything in event viewer for DNS on the 2003 machine?

Comment

Working...
            X