X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Windows Server 2003

hello

Help

I built a New server 192.168.1.27 then i ran DCpromo to add a second domain controller within our network, Then reading variuos post on here you need to add another dns server within the network, So i add a dns server on 192.168.1.27. Now i have in reverse lookup 192.168.1.* which looks correct, but in forward lookup zone i have in the right panel. The domain name system allows a dns namespace to be divided into zones to add a new zone on the action menu. What do i do there? Then do i need to statis ip in netword primary dc then 192.168.1.27

Re: Help Windows Server 2003

It would be useful if you could describe how you did this and which OS you are using.

Did you make sure the DNS server is active directory integrated. Can you see your domain under the Forward and Reverse Lookup Zones?

http://www.petri.com/dns_autoconfigu...ndows_2000.htm
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Hello

Cheers for replying, We are running Windows Server 2003, In the logs I have

The dns server was unable to complete directory service enumeration of zone domain.local. This dns server is configurded to use information obtained from active directory for this zone and unable to load the zones without it, Check that the active directory is functioning properly and repeat enumeration of the zone?

Comment

Check this first

http://www.chicagotech.net/troublesh...ventid4004.htm

Does your original DC have more than one network card installed? If so, is the second DC aware of the correct address?

Are you using static addresses for your DC's? You should be.

I would make sure that all your IP configuration information is correct. If it is not then correct it.

If you wish you can post the results of an ipconfig /all from both DC's here so we can look at them.

If you are confident the new DC isconfigured correctly and if you are still unable to connect to the DC, and you are not relying on this new DC for anything I would be tempted to demote it, remove it from the domain, rename it, join it to the domain again using the new name, make sure that the IP settings (it is pointing to the DC for DNS etc), are correct then run dcpromo.

Next install DNS and make sure it is active directory integrated.

http://www.pctips3000.com/how-to-cre...s-server-2003/

Comment

Hello

The Primary is 192.168.1.35 using static IP The second DC is 192.168.1.27. I think I have dns wrong way around

Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
          (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.
          C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all
          Windows IP Configuration
          Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : burns
          Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Domain.local
          Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
          IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
          WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
          DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Domain.local
          Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
          Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
          Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet
          NIC
          Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 36-27-A5-B5-F4-82
          DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
          IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.27
          Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
          Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
          DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.35

Should The second DC dns be point to itself?

Comment

If DNS is installed properly on the second DC it should only, as you say, point to itself. So, under the TCP settings on the network adaptor, under 'Use the following DNS server addresses' you should only have 192.168.1.27 and nothing else. Remove the reference to 192.168.1.35.

Comment

Working...
            X