No announcement yet.

old DC showing up in DNS

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old DC showing up in DNS

Hello All
    I have a strange issue where an old demoted DC is showing up as a record in DNS. It's IP is exactly the same as the next current DC.

The site consists of two DC's, the primary running 2K8R2 and the secondary 2K3 SP2. I was not present when the older DC was demoted and removed (approx 18mths ago) but something must have gone wrong as its name was "server1" and the now PDC is named "server2" and the SDC "server3".

server1 has the same HostA record IP as server2 and that being ( *.*.*.41). Server2 had it's static IP changed from 17 to 41 approx 5mths ago and this is when I first saw the false record appearing.

After following all the instructions in this article (delete_failed_dcs_from_ad) and performed it on both the PDC and the SDC, a strange issue presented itself. On the SDC if I do "list servers in site" I get a 0 = null return. This is not the case on the PDC and I get server2 & server3 only

I have checked everywhere looking for any relation/entries/listings for server1 and can find nothing in either DNS or AD related. If I delete the false HostA record it returns sometimes days later, sometimes hours later.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.