Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I wonder is someone could verify a dns issue for me?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wonder is someone could verify a dns issue for me?

someone in my company let me know they were not able to send an email to someone that had contacted them by email.

so..my first step was to attempt to telnet to their email server on port 25

the company is pinpointglobal.com

I fired up telnet and tried to connect to mail.pinpointglobal.com 25

result: no response

so then I went to mxtoolbox dot com and typed in their name, which shows they have two mail servers and their ip addresses.

so then I attempted to telnet to one of their email servers and as you might expect I was able to connect.

so - then I attempted to ping mail.pinpointglobal.com and nothing is returned.

so please correct me if I'm wrong here because my assumptions are the following.

We use exchange to send email

my question are as follows:

when you reply to or send an email does exchange (or any mail server) preface the domain name with 'mail.' and hand that over to the dns server to resolve to an ip address?

My assumption is that since we cannot resolve the name 'mail.pinpointglobal.com' is the reason we cannot send any email to them.

are my assumptions correct?

thanks

Re: I wonder is someone could verify a dns issue for me?

Your pretty far afield on this. The remote domain could use any name for their incoming email server (this is where the MX record points to) not mail.domain.com but whatever they happen to name that host. In the case of pinpointglobal.com their MX records point to mx1.emailsrvr.com and mx2.emailsrvr.com, so that's where your email server is going to connect in order to send the email.

In addition, pinging the remote email server is not a valid test as many organizations don't allow inbound pings to their servers.

Exchange, or any other email server is going to perform a DNS lookup for the MX record for the remote domain and may also perform a DNS lookup for the A record for the domain if no MX records are found, and will then attempt to send email to the servers listed in the MX or A records.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mx_record

Comment

ok - great information thanks.

should I try to telnet to their mx1 or mx1 ip address and see what their email server tells me when I enter the email address we are trying to send to via an RCPT TO: command?

Comment

Yep, that's what I would do. I would telnet to both of them and attempt to send a test email to the recipient in question.

Comment

thank you very much

Comment

Glad to help.

Comment

Working...
            X