No announcement yet.

What is _msdcs.domainname mean?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is _msdcs.domainname mean?

I have inquiry about _msdcs.domainname.

On my DNS server Forward Lookup Zone, there not only have my Domain Name, however there also have _msdcs.domainname.

1. May I know whar purpose of _msdcs.domainname?
    2. Can I delete _msdcs.domainname?
    3. The _msdcs under my domainname is gray, is it normal?

Can help me on this?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kynixtanls; 22nd March 2011, 08:09.

Re: What is _msdcs.domainname mean?

Originally posted by kynixtanls View Post

1. May I know whar purpose of _msdcs.domainname?
    Of course, but it comes at a price. Fortunately though you can find this out for free by using an administrator's best friend: .

Can I delete _msdcs.domainname?
    As you can see in your screenshot, it contains some vital information, so no. I have to ask... why on earth would you want to delete it?

The _msdcs under my domainname is gray, is it normal?
    Doesn't appear like that on the DNS console in front of me, but then you don't give much detail about your DNS environment - what OS it's running on, whether the zones are AD-integrated, whether the zones accept secure and/or insecure updates etc - which may or may not be relevant. Since you don't mention any errors, I assume dcdiag and netdiag don't highlight any problems for you, likewise there's nothing in the Event Log to worry about. Somebody may know the significance of that particular icon, but two questions:
    1. has it always been that way?
    2. is it causing you any problems?
    If the answers are yes and no respectively, then I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Re: What is _msdcs.domainname mean?

the _msdcs and other zone records that contain underlines and things like that, are an integral part of Active directory.

If you delete them, everything will go to hell in a hand basket. They contain Service(SRV) records that tell the computesr on your network how to look up things like the global catalog, domain controllers, an kerberos services etc.

They are very important.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point