Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multiple primary servers with AD integrated?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple primary servers with AD integrated?

Hi everyone,

Currently have 4 DCs, 2 of which are being replaced. All have DNS installed and I need to decommission one of them now.

I have swapped its IP with its replacement so this server (DC2) now has no clients pointing to it, for what was there second DNS server.

I'm ready to DCPromo it to a member server but want to remove DNS first. Question is when I look at the zone on all servers, they all say AD Integrated, but also show as Primary Zone on each one in the change zone dialog box?

If I was to uninstall DNS from this server before I DCPromo it, will this just remove DNS from that and not the whole AD because its integrated?

Thanks, probably just confusing myself now.

Andy

Re: Multiple primary servers with AD integrated?

With AD integrated DNS zones, the zones will appear as Primary zones on each server, but there really is no concept of Primary and Secondary servers. When running DCPROMO on the server to be commissioned you don't have to do anything with DNS as the zones are stored in AD and will be "held" by the remaining servers. After running DCPROMO you should remove the DNS role from the decommissioned DC.

Comment

Thank man, appricaite that! I thought that would be the case, but its been such a long time since I did this that I got myself in a pickle so wanted to check.

Appricaite your help.

Andy

Comment

Glad to help.

Comment

Working...
        X