Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• same internal and external domain name

hello,
    i currently have a windows 2003 domain environment with the same internal domain as my external domain. I also have exchange 2007 with mail working perfectly fine except for my remote site. I have a dedicated ipsec vpn line to my remote site that is part of my domain. The windows 2003 server that i have on the remote site has active directory integrated zone and i have configured a site link to my main office using active directory sites and services. So my primary network is address 192.168.1.0 and remote is 192.168.2.0. when the vpn link is up an running all mail flows smoothy but the problem arises when the connection drops due to internet problems at the remote site. When the link is down users at the remote site cant get email through outlook or owa. Im pretty sure the reason is because the remote mail clients go through the vpn link to get access to email. I know the root of the problem is because im using the same internal and external domain name. i create an A record on my remote dns server saying anything going to mail.xxx.xxx go to the external ip address and i left the existing A record in place which point to my mail server's internal ip address. i had my brother change that at the remote site but dont know if it will work. Any recommendations on how to fix this?

Re: same internal and external domain name

Hi,

so in case of outage does your users use owa or outlook (is it configure to connect from internet even if there's no vpn connection)
    Thanks & Regards
    v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
    Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
    Independent IT Consultant and Architect
    Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

they use owa but instead of putting the domain name they have to use the ip addess of the main office. again im assuming since the internal and external domain name are the same the remote clients go to my internal dns server which points to the internal ip address of the mail server.

thanks

Comment

what if they use ip address of your external url ? does it work
        Thanks & Regards
        v-2nas

Comment

ip address works

Comment

Hi,

One way you can do is to use static mapping in lmhost files. For DNS resolution first the cache, then lmhost,host files then dns servers are looked upon.
            Thanks & Regards
            v-2nas

Comment

How do your clients access the internet??? Is it through the VPN or direct connection to the internet???

Is the remote site part of your domain???

Does it use a separate DC with DNS installed on it and is it AD integrated???

Where did you put the mail.domain.com entry???

Did you delete any mail.domain.com entires???

I know when my users use OWA we send them to the server rather that the external IP. so ours is http://servername/exchange

Comment

I think i would be a dns problem OR also check firewall settings.

Comment

How do your clients access the internet??? Is it through the VPN or direct connection to the internet??? the gone to their internal dns sever and out through the remote router address

Is the remote site part of your domain??? yes

Does it use a separate DC with DNS installed on it and is it AD integrated??? AD Integrated

Where did you put the mail.domain.com entry???is it on both my internal domain and my domain hosting site. both internal and external use the same domain name

Did you delete any mail.domain.com entires???no i didnt delete them

I know when my users use OWA we send them to the server rather that the external IP. so ours is http://servername/exchange

Comment

Originally posted by Zahidpk View Post
                    I think i would be a dns problem OR also check firewall settings.
                    im positive it's a dns issue

Comment

Hi,

Yes this is a dns issue,

let say your you are accessing owa using following link
                      https://mail.something.com
                      now since your internal and external domain are same. This request goes to dns server mentioned on tcp/ip
                      since there is already a record in internal dns it points it internal url (due to same internal and external names)

one way (test) to direct (remote office)users to external url is to use host files. making an entry like this

102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com

and

Do you have DNS in remote branch office? Do you have forwarders set on them ? are they internal or external ?
                      Thanks & Regards
                      v-2nas

Comment

Originally posted by v-2nas View Post
                        Hi,

Yes this is a dns issue,

let say your you are accessing owa using following link
                        https://mail.something.com
                        now since your internal and external domain are same. This request goes to dns server mentioned on tcp/ip
                        since there is already a record in internal dns it points it internal url (due to same internal and external names)

one way (test) to direct (remote office)users to external url is to use host files. making an entry like this

102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com

and

Do you have DNS in remote branch office? Do you have forwarders set on them ? are they internal or external ?

Im sure the lmhost file will work but i dont want to do it for all the users.. there is a dns server at the remote site and everyone is going to it for resolution with no fowarders. I will try the fowarders part to see if that works

Comment

If you have an A record in place for mail.domain.com on your DNS server in the branch then it should work.

Do an nslookup and see what the results are when you search for the A record for mail.domain.com. Do this on a client on the remote site.

Are there any entries in your HOSTS file at the moment???

What exactly are your clients using for DNS??? Can you post an ipconfig /all from a client and the remote server.

Now does this work on your main site??? Can your clients access the external address when using mail.domain.com???

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                            If you have an A record in place for mail.domain.com on your DNS server in the branch then it should work.

Do an nslookup and see what the results are when you search for the A record for mail.domain.com. Do this on a client on the remote site.

Are there any entries in your HOSTS file at the moment???

What exactly are your clients using for DNS??? Can you post an ipconfig /all from a client and the remote server.

Now does this work on your main site??? Can your clients access the external address when using mail.domain.com???
                            i will try that when i get home. I did create an A record and need to see if that works. no entries in the current Hosts file. DNS is part of the active directory intigrated zone. main site is fine and all the internal clients are going to the private ip address of my mail server.

thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X