DNS updating the other DNS server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS updating the other DNS server

There seems to be a problem with my dns servers updating eachother. When I delete a VM then I recreate another VM with the same name it takes a few minutes for the update to go out to the other DNS server with the new IP address. Any ideas how I can reduce the time it takes for the DNS servers to update eachother.

Re: DNS updating the other DNS server

Is this active directory integrated DNS?
    Is it in a single site?

The schedule can be changed as documented:
    http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/...n-a-site-.aspx
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes it is ad intragrated but its not a matter of replication between the two AD servers its a matter of lessing the time it takes for the DNS server to update the other one.
      So if a developer deletes a VM that has a IP of 192.168.1.5 then recreates it using the same name the Vm pulls a new IP with 192.168.2.5. The DNS server holds onto the old IP for about 3 minutes.
      Is there a way to reduce that time?

Comment

One ADI DNS server updating another IS a matter of replication
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

like my learned (and possibly snowed in) friend says - if your DNS is active Directory Integrated, then all the replication of DNS happens within the Active Directory Replication process.

So the only way to speed it up, would be to increase your active directory replication time.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
          X