Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS Entries Instead of etc\hosts

Hello everyone,

I need to make two public IP addresses to be resolved with particular FQDNs that do not belong to us and our domain.

As an example:

10.0.0.1 - our.domain1.com

11.0.0.1 - customer.subdomain1.domain2.com

12.0.0.1 - customer.subdomain2.domain2.com

From what I know, the customers made firewall rules for our office public IP address to be accessible.

customer.subdomain1.domain2.com and customer.subdomain2.domain2.com are not propagated world-wide, only the public IP addresses seem to be working.

I understand that instead of manually change all etc\hosts files on our company laptops, I can make a change on our DNS server to point to 11.0.0.1 and 12.0.0.1 when our employees try to access customer.subdomain1.domain2.com and customer.subdomain2.domain2.com, respectively. I just don't know how to do it.

The employees aren't going to access the sites outside of our network.

We have Windows Server 2008 as a DNS server.

Any help (especially, with instructions) is much appreciated as I have basic understanding of DNS server configuration.

P.S. I tried adding "Stab zone" and then adding "Secondary zone" by adding the zone names for FQDNs and adding public IPs, in both cases I got the same error (attached).

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

As I mentioned earlier, these are not world-wide propagated sites. There is only an exception in the firewall rules, to allow only our office public IP.

And again, as I mentioned earlier, this should work with the same idea as etc\hosts file, but for everyone accessing our DNS server, not to change the files themselves (etc\hosts) on every machine.

Thanks
    Attached Files

It is resolved now.

I create a new forward zone (primary), added A host with the correct IP and that's it.

Comment

Working...
    X