Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unnecessary DNS records

Hi,

I've noticed some additional MX records on a domain which point to the same place as the normal dns records effectively unnecessary (unless Im missing something hence the question). So is there any time you would need to create additional mx records with www.domainname.com and point them to the same place as your domainname.com mx records?

Thanks

Can you post screenshot of this occurrence? You know, a picture, a thousands words and all that.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Depends. You may have your MX records pointing to an FQDN. How would it then know how to contact the correct server, yep it will search for an A record.

However without an example of what you mean its a bit difficult.

Comment

Hi guys, here's a pic of what I mean - both www.domain.com AND domain.com pointing to exactly the same place wouldn't you just need 1 set of mx records which manage the domain as a whole?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.png
Views:	1
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	515395

Comment

www.domain.com and domain.com are not the same thing.

In esscence www.domain.com is a child domain of domain.com and as such could potentially run its own email server. The fact that it points to the same email server would sat to me that it is one big org. However the use of www if very confusing IMO, unless of course you have changed the domain names.

Think of it like this

We are a global company that is divided into 3 parts, AMER, EMEA, APAC. my domain is bigcompany.org. Each site is a child domain of bigcompany.org so looks like:

bigcompany.org
          AMER.bigcompany.org
          EMEA.bigcompany.org
          APAC.bigcompany.org

However as it is all one big forest email is for all intents and purposes a single app, if your using exchange that is.

So your MX records could look like this

AMER.bigcompany.com MX 100 inbound1.bigcompany.org
          AMER.bigcompany.org MX 100 inbound2.bigcompany.org

EMEA.bigcompany.com MX 100 inbound1.bigcompany.org
          EMEA.bigcompany.org MX 100 inbound2.bigcompany.org

APAC.bigcompany.com MX 100 inbound1.bigcompany.org
          APAC.bigcompany.org MX 100 inbound2.bigcompany.org

All it basically means is the the servers listed will accept email for the corresponding domain.

Comment

Working...
          X