Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switch Over to Root Hint?

Hey everyone,

I work in an office environment with 2 DNS servers, both virtualized. We're having some problems right now with the occasional but still very annoying dropped, lost, or otherwise failed DNS queries. This problem started shortly after we switched ISPs. We're not sure if the problem is entirely on their end, entirely on our end, or somewhere in a clash between their configurations and ours. What we're considering doing is no longer forwarding DNS queries to our ISP, but instead looking to use the Root Hints instead. I just want to be sure as I can be that this will not have any severe or unforeseen impact on our environment. Has anyone else made this switch and had any issues as a result of it?

Thanks

You might try something a little simpler: set your DNS forwarder(s) to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 which are Google's Public DNS. If your DNS queries stop failing even tho you're traffic goes thru the same ISP circuit to the Net, this would be evidence that they have a DNS issue in their own system while the pipe to the Net is running steady. If you still have the same issues, there could be issues with the ISP's overall network stability. How certain are you that you don't have any hiccups internally or with your own firewall/gateway?
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Thank you for encouraging me to double-check. I ran DNS Benchmark and found that one of our DNS servers wasn't answering queries at all. It turns out that it hadn't been reconfigured since the changeover, and it was still pointing to our old ISP, which accounts for our lost queries.

Comment

So this means you've sorted it? Excellent.
        *RicklesP*
        MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X