Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse DNS not updating

Hi Everyone,

I have 3 DNS servers (win2k3) integrated into AD that their reverse DNS is not updating. Let me give some background info.

Both Forward and reverse DNS was screwed up to begin with. To fix the forward, i modified the DHCP server to always update DNS when ever it adds a new client. Then I deleted all entries and restarted all the machines (of course I set the lease time to 1 day, one day prior to do the deletion). It fixed the forward DNS entries for the most part. I just manually deleted any old entries that were not uptodate.

The reverse on the other hand is still messed up. I have triple entries on the same IP and all 3 entries are wrong (they don't match the forward at all). I deleted an entry from the reverse on a machine that receives DHCP, but after 2 days, it has not re added the machine into reverse DNS. so i manually tried to add it using "ipconfig /registerdns". That does not work either. I was also reading something on scavenging, but that will only fix the old entries that will deleting but I'm not sure about actually getting the correct entries to begin with.

Any help would greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced
    Last edited by sabbyman; 11th October 2010, 19:13. Reason: needed to add OS version

Re: Reverse DNS not updating

well, are there any errors in the event logs on the client workstations, or the servers ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hi thanks for responding,

I'm not getting any errors on the Server side. I ran some netdiag, dcdiag and even addiag but everything passed.

There aren't any errors related to either DNS or DHCP on the client either. I ran a quick test. Here is what I did:
      I removed the lease in DHCP for one client, then Deleted the forward lookup Zone (the reverse didn't exsist). Restarted the client and checked. The lease was recreated and the forward lookup entry was recreated as well but not in the reverse.

Comment

Hi,

Can you check if ur reverse lookup zone is allowed to receive dynamic secure updates from client?

and why you are using reverse lookup zones
        Thanks & Regards
        v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
        Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
        Independent IT Consultant and Architect
        Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Working...
        X