• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop DNS in a Domain

For my computers in my domain, I set the DNS to:

Primary: 192.168.1.11 (DC1)
    Secondary: 192.168.1.12 (DC2)

But I also have laptops in the domain that will connect to access points or routers (3g hotspot from phone, aircard, or other *trusted* wireless or wired network) away from the domain.

I have googl'ed and looked at GP, but only find a setting for DNS servers in Computer Config > Policies > Admin Templates > Network > DNS Client > DNS Servers

It says it's for Windows XP Professional only. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate on the lappy's. Do I just set each laptop manually to also resolve to external domains or is there a GPO setting for it?

DC1 is Server 2008 R2
    DC2 is Server 2008

I only have two, but I am trying to learn AD/GP and so I could easily do it manually but I am trying to learn a "best practice" way of doing it for an enterprise environment.

Thanks,

Allen

Re: Laptop DNS in a Domain

use DHCP.
    then DHCP can set the DNS for on your local network, and when it's off your network, dhcp on the other locations will sort it out.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

So I'll initially have to specify the dns (to find the DC and join the domain) and then change it to obtain automatically?

Can you be a bit more specific... I am new at this.

Comment

is your domain using DHCP to automatically assign addresses, or do you do it manually ?

How many computers do you have ?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

This is a test domain that I am using to learn as I take my MCITP classes.

I will be installing the DHCP role. I have a total of 6 computers in the domain (including the DC's)... they are as follows:

DC1
          DC2
          Notebook1
          Netbook1
          PC1
          PC2

I know I could easily configure this manually, but I'd like to learn how to do it the same way I would if I had 5,000 computers.

Comment

DHCP is definitely the way to go mate

Install your DHCP role and configure that.
            One of the options you get to configure is "DNS Servers" - configure two DNS servers valid for your network.
            Thn go back to your client OS and set it to automatically obtain IP and DNS servers, and reboot.

Your MCITP training should take you through most of this.

The reason I'm recommending DHCP, even though you only have 5 computers at the moment, is your original post specified that the computers were roaming - thus in my mind, the absolute best way is to use DHCP. Even if you can configure 5 computers manually.

Hope this helps you a bit

Comment

Thank you! I am trying to learn real world as well as theory / textbook. I appreciate your help.

Comment

real world is, in my opinion, up to 10 or so fixed computers, use static ip addresses, no need for DHCP.

anything above 10, it's just stupid to try and maintain records.

with laptops, or things that move, dhcp is the most suitable option.

if what i'm saying makes sense ?

Comment

If I have more than 1 computer on the network then I run DHCP. Only Static IPs are Servers and Default Gateway (Router). EVERYTHING else gets their IP from DHCP.

Devices like Printers get their IP via a DHCP Reservation.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

i see your point i guess. esp if you have a router which can hand out dhcp.. but if you've got no server, then i'd do it static

Comment

If you have any form of router, it will (99.99%) have DHCP on it.

If you are learning for your MCSE/ITP you will have to learn to configure DHCP and DNS on your servers, just move it further up your schedule
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                      X