• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Management of DNS on Windows 2008 Server Core

Setup:

172.18.1.100 Windows 2008 R2 Standard
    172.18.1.105 Windows 2008 R2 Standard Server Core

These are the only two Windows servers on a new network (running as virtual machines on the same ESX host), and are standalone servers. There currently is no Active Directory.

DNS-Server-Core-Role is installed on 172.18.1.105, and DNS Server service is running.

I have configured remote administration on 172.18.1.105, and can access it via Remote Desktop and MMC from 172.18.1.100.

From the MMC on 172.18.1.100, I can view services, firewall settings, event viewer, etc.

However, when I try to access DNS on 172.18.1.105 from the MMC on 172.18.1.100, I get an "Access Was Denied" message (see screen shot).

What additional configuration is required in Windows Server Core to allow me to remotely manage DNS from the other Windows 2008 server. I really do not want to have to configure DNS from the command line -- as interesting as that might be to do.

Thanks.
    Attached Files

Re: Remote Management of DNS on Windows 2008 Server Core

dnscmd isn't that hard to use...

make sur you have the same administrator account with the same password on both servers. make sure each is added to the relevant DNSAdmin groups on both servers. (ie, server1 will have server1\admin and server2\admin and server2 will have server2\admin and server1\admin)

see if this helps
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

As soon as I posted the above, I was informed that Windows DNS can only run on a Domain Controller.

Nothing I had read stated that -- which I guess hows how much I know. But, after some struggling to get DCPROMO working on Windows 2008 Server Core, my problem has been resolved as soon as the promotion of 172.18.1.105 (now known as devdc01.datacenter.******.edu) was complete.

If I had found Daniel's articles, "Installing Active Directory on Windows 2008 Server Core" and "Creating an Unattend Installation File for DCPROMO in Windows Server 2008," I would have saved an afternoon of metaphorically spinning wheels. Microsoft's KB 947034, mentioned by Daniel, was incredibly helpful in making sure the syntax of my unattend file was correct.

The actual unattended install was incredibly simple. Once my unattend file was configured, the actual DCPROMO process took only a few seconds.
      Attached Files

Comment

is the dns only on a dc a new thing do you know? I'm certain you used to be able to run it without a DC.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

News to the rest of the world too.
          AD integrated DNS is only on a DC but normal (file based) DNS can still run on anything
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I'm running DNS on two W2K8 servers that are not domain controllers. Both are running full installations and not core installations so maybe that's the difference?

Comment

Hi all,

I don't know if this is still relevant to you, but I've found the solution in this KB.

Windows Server 2008 R2 DNS Servers can only be managed by computers running Windows Server 2008 or later
              http : // support.microsoft.com/ kb/ 2027440
              (remove spaces - as this is my first post I'm not allowed to post URLs until I've made 5 posts in general)

Best regards,
              Alex Mikkelsen

Comment

That is a general issue with many of the management tools in 2008/R2 -- use the Remote Server Admin Tools from a Win7/Vista workstation.
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                X