Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to Setup two subnets in single Domain Controller

Hello guys,

Right now i setup a single domain server (windows server 2003) in we have single subnet we were working. Now we are going to ask for individual team setup in different subnet in a same office.
    what i required for that ? I want to provide different ISP connection two both subnets ( like different interent traffic on both subnets). But how they can able to communicate locally (like access sharing folders and file server with each other).

Regards

Re: Want to Setup two subnets in single Domain Controller

You will need:
    2 NiCs on the DC, one on each subnet
    Either a router connected to both subnets or RRAS role on the DC (router is preferred)
    Routers from each subnet to the internet -- put the default gateway on the DC on one or the other, not both!
    You may need to add a static route on clients showing them which router to use to reach the other subnet (as it will not be the default gateway they use for the internet)

Or you could ask yourself "do I really need two subnets and 2 internet connections, or will one do?"
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      You will need:
      2 NiCs on the DC, one on each subnet
      Either a router connected to both subnets or RRAS role on the DC (router is preferred)
      Routers from each subnet to the internet -- put the default gateway on the DC on one or the other, not both!
      You may need to add a static route on clients showing them which router to use to reach the other subnet (as it will not be the default gateway they use for the internet)

Or you could ask yourself "do I really need two subnets and 2 internet connections, or will one do?"
      Thanks for the reply ossian:

I want to share my complete scenario. more simply (i dont go for seperate WAN links for both subnets. I have a single WAN point most probably (Juniper SSG5 firewall). two subnets locally physically connected with layer two switch. Can i use Single DC for both communications ?????....

Comment

Can we use single DNS for two subnets ???

Here is my question ?? Can we use a single dns for two subnets ??/. Like i want is to make a single DC and DNS on single machine. Now i want to use this machine will work as communicating two subnets (bith subnets are physically connected). can i use DNS server for these two subnets ??. (definatly router is involved for communicating two subnets).

Comment

(i dont go for seperate WAN links for both subnets. I have a single WAN point most probably
          So why did you say "provide different ISP connection two both subnets" in your post #1?

Does the L2 switch provide routing between the subnets? If not, RRAS on the server can do it, but IMHO is not preferred.
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Can we use single DNS for two subnets ???

Can you please keep to one thread on this as the issues are exactly the same as you question about a DC on two subnets.

I have requested a merge with the other thread so please don't add replies to this one
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Re: Can we use single DNS for two subnets ???

Threads merged.

Comment

Working...
              X