Preferred and Alternate Server not working on Servers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preferred and Alternate Server not working on Servers

OK, so on the servers and Every PC whether you use DHCP or staticlay assign you can assign 2 DNS servers. We are having a problem where one DNS server fails ( I know why and have dealt with that) But my problem is the secondary one is and was working but the clients didn't use it. If I take out the primary leaving just the secondary on it works. Is there something that prevents the PC from using the secondary one?

According to https://community.spiceworks.com/top...y-was-off-line it takes a couple of hours - I thought it was much shorter - or a reboot

Note you can have more than 2 DNS servers by going to advanced properties (and push out more than 2 via DHCP)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by jason0923 View Post
      We are having a problem where one DNS server fails ( I know why and have dealt with that) But my problem is the secondary one is and was working but the clients didn't use it.
      It all depends on exactly how the primary "fails".

If it fails in the sense that it stops responding altogether then yes, the client should switch to the secondary and keep using it until it fails or the client is rebooted.

However, if the failure involves being unable to resolve names and returning NXDOMAIN or some other error message, that's not considered a "failure" from the standpoint of a client. After all, an error message is a perfectly valid response to a DNS query.

Comment

Working...
      X