Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADUC advanced features and DNS

Hi all.

I was wondering about the advanced features in ADUC; with respect to DNS, exactly what should I see in either a 2003 or 2008 DC? From what I have seen so far something might be incorrect. There are some zones so that things like facebook and the like resolve to nothing. I see no AD related zones at all.

There is a lot of legacy stuff here that was implemented before I assumed this position so I am combing through things as time permits...

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--james

Re: ADUC advanced features and DNS

Could you post a screenshot of your DNS console, expanded as fully as possible
    Typically you should see:

domain.corp (your AD domain)
    _mscs.domain.corp (or something similar with the SRV records)
    Any reverse lookup zones you have created e.g. 1.168.192.inaddr.arpa

Nothing else unless you have multiple AD domains or a copy of your external DNS zone
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ossian.

I have attached the ADUC/Advanced Features view as that is where my question comes from. With respect to the DNS console itself, the zones show up fine there...
      Last edited by JBowes; 11th August 2010, 16:16. Reason: Resolved

Comment

Okay I figured it out. This speaks to the 'partitions' in AD. Specifically, you cannot view what I want to see in ADUC/Advnaced Features. Here is a link explaining it further:

http://arstechnica.com/phpbb/viewtop...?f=17&t=341047

Scroll about half way down and read the posting from stash. It's clear and concise.

To Ossian, sorry for wasting your time.

--james

Comment

Not wasted at all, and glad you found the answer

I didnt click (despite you saying so) that you were in ADUC -- I thought it was the DNS console
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X