Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New domain, new DHCP scope, new DNS. No updating?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New domain, new DHCP scope, new DNS. No updating?

Hello,

I have setup a new domain as my company wants to migrate from Novell. I have setup two DCs, which both provide DNS (second DC is running as secondary zone off of PDC). The PDC also provides DHCP.

Whilst DHCP seems to be working fine, records are not being added/updated in the forward lookup zone. Reverse lookup zone seems to be updating/populating fine. I have gone through the settings time and time again but I can't crack this one.

Point of note, 98% of clients are not on the new domain yet but I have added domain admin credentials into DHCP>Dynamic DNS update credentials. AD computer members add themselves to the forward lookup zone fine.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Spuddy; 5th August 2010, 11:48.

Re: New domain, new DHCP scope, new DNS. No updating?

Without going into a long list of reasons this isn't working, I'd say that the easiest thing to do is to join the computers to the new domain. Once that's done, they should register with the new DNS server as you'd expect.

If you really want them to register with the new DNS server before they're joined to the new domain, say so and I'll give you the list of steps needed for that to work.

Comment

Re: New domain, new DHCP scope, new DNS. No updating?

You can generally either have the DHCP server update DNS records on behalf of the clients or simply allow the clients to do it themselves.

I find the DHCP solution to be more problematic. In any case the DHCP solution requires some additional configuration (DNSPROXY update group, credentials, etc...)

If you allow the clients to do it themselves and they are not domain members, two things that are basically needed. 1) you will need to configure the clients DNS suffix so that they can register in the correct zone and 2) configure the zone to all Unsecured UPdates. If you currently have the zone to allow only Secure Update, non-domain members will not be able to update the records.
      ________
      buy vapir vaporizer
      Last edited by [JM]; 24th January 2011, 18:13.
      JM @ IT Training & Consulting
      http://www.itgeared.com

Comment

Working...
      X