DFS replication between two different domains

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DFS replication between two different domains

We have a VPN connection setup so we can access files on another server but I'm wondering if there is a way to setup DFS replication?

We can ping and access the server in the other country fine using ip\sharename

I've read that unless the servers are in the same forest it's not possible

Correct - cross forest is not possible:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com...ation-question
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Umm, any recommendations what to use to sync two folders, we need to be the master/source. Maybe synctoy?

Comment

Looks like they are in the same forest as the canonical name is the same for servers I'm looking at in AD Sites and Services, now to find out why DFS file replication stopped and cannot get working.

My DC - ourdomain.internal/Configuration/Sites/Default-First-Site-Name/Servers/DCNAME
        Server/DC at another site - ourdomain.internal/Configuration/Sites/Othersite/Servers/OTHERDCNAME

Comment

Marcopolo
          What OS are the two servers?
          You didn't say originally DFS was installed and now doesn't work - do you know if anything changed on either side? Anything in event logs?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Unfortunately I seem to be reverse engineering and wasn't even sure if DFS was being used to replicate.

After a little more investigation, replication (whatever was configured) was working prior to our MPLS switchover several weeks ago, albeit it had slowed down. Since then it's been reported as not working at all so the last few days I've been trawling the servers to find out what's been used to replicate this data.

The last thing I came across was DFS, but no one could offer much information. It was only this morning when using synctoy that I noticed a file I'd placed in the source folder had been replicated so it does look like DFS replication (if that is indeed being used) could be working but very slow.

I ran a synctoy job and transfer is working albeit I need to clarify speed. I then deleted it and added the file again, so far no replication so back to the ISP we go for them to look at why DFS is so slow.

Comment

Working...
            X