BETTER DNS OPTIONS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BETTER DNS OPTIONS?

I have two Win12 St Ed, DC's running DNS, but seems like DNS should be running a bit better.

Server1: DNS, 10.10.10.4

Server2: DNS 10.10.10.3

Should I add 127.0.0.1 to both servers, should I add an Open DNS (208.67.220.220)??

What exactly do you mean by running better? Are you getting slow resolutions times for internal resources? External resources? Do you have the best forwarders configured on the DNS servers?

You can check your DNS performance with DNS Benchmark and compare it to other DNS servers available: https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I used Benchmark and both DNS servers do come up.

But I'm still have slow resolutions time from surfing from web page to web pages...

I did just restart the DNS services on Server2 maybe that will help.

how about adding Open DNS or 127??
      Last edited by bigalusn; 28th September 2015, 15:10.

Comment

OK, so let's be clear. Adding anything to the primary, secondary, etc DNS servers on the network adapter of the DNS servers will help nothing for clients that are querying the DNS server.
        OK, maybe that's not so clear. Bottom line, any changes need to be made from the DNS MMC console.

As for the DNS Benchmark, take your time to read the instructions. The local DNS servers will always come up fastest. What you want from this tool is to be able to choose the best servers as your DNS forwarders. This is where your performance gain will come. I would choose the best two or three DNS servers, that are not local, as your forwarders. Open DNS is among the ones that are tested.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

thanks Jeremy, I just wanted to be sure. I added one Conditional Forwarder.

Comment

You shouldn't add a conditional forwarder. Those are for when you need to forward queries for a specific domain to a specific DNS server. You want all queries that your local DNS server can't resolve forwarded to 2 or 3 high performing DNS servers.

To add a forwarder,
            - Open the DNS console
            - Right-click the DNS server and choose properties
            - Click on the Forwarders tab

Add the DNS servers that were the best performing (excluding the local ones) from the DNS benchmark.

Note, for best benchmark results, you should run it a few times a day for a few days. That way you get a good spread of different times that may reflect different user and network behavior so that you can choose the one that best suits your network.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

correct, sorry about "conditional"

Comment

Excellent! OK, let us know if that helps.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Jeremy, thanks once again. I added the top 3 DNS servers under Forwarding. All is working much better.

Comment

Excellent! Thanks for posting back.
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                    X