No announcement yet.

DNS assistance

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS assistance

Hello Maciunio,
    I have similar issue in my lab and I tried to fixed it in couples of last days, and then I found your post.
    I wonder you can see this message and if yes, please give me some help.

My lab environment is a little simple than you.
    1. ip share router: (disable the dhcp function for release ip in 192.168.1.X)
    2. a physical laptop install win 7 and there are win 2012 r2 VM DC ( and a test win 2012 r2 client VM on VMware workstation 11.
    3. a physical PC install win 7 and there are win 2012 r2 VM client on VMware workstation 11 try to join domain, but failure.

The symptom is:
    1. All computer can ping each other without issue.
    2. for laptop environment, no issue on joining domain and nslookup testing.
    3. this issue is happen on physical PC, nslookup will show dns request timeout and when you try to join computer to domain, you will see a popup window show "a active directory domain controller for the domain "" could not be connected.".

I saw your last post said you fixed the issue by fixing routing, would you provide more information for this.

Hi Guccimario,

I have moved your post to it's own thread. The thread you replied to was 3 years old, so I felt your query would be better served with it's own thread.

I don't think routing is an issue for your environment.

If I understand correctly, your router is and there is no DHCP being provided.
    You have a physical laptop and physical desktop. Both can ping each other, I assume using IP addresses.

What is the network configuration for VMware workstation on the physical laptop? There's usually a couple of options, Local, external, host-only.
    You probably need to have it set as "external" so devices from the PhysicalPC can access the guests

if it's already set like that, some more information will help:

IP address of each device, including subnet
    DNS-server setting for each device

(so, for instance:
    Laptop: DNS
    guest1 : dns (on Laptop)
    guest2: dns (on laptop)

PC: dns
    guest3: dns
    guest4: dns

Obviously that's just a guess, but if you tell us how it's configured, that will help
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point