Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Primany DNS server

Hi all My Seniors,
    In my network, there are two DNS servers (Active Directory Integrated) and now I have to remove Primary DNS server (it is PDC too and handling all FSMO roles and Global Catalog Server). I already transfered the all FSMO roles and GC to another DC.
    Now I just need to move DNS to Secondary DNS server.
    Can anyone advice me what should I do on old both Servers?
    I found following steps when I googled it and I think it is the best way.
    My concern is I think I need to clean all records about Old DNS server from New DNS server.
    Please check it out here:
    1. On the DNS server that is currently hosting the DNS zone(s), change any Active Directory-integrated zones to standard primary. This action creates the zone files that are needed for the destinationDNSserver.
    2. Stop the DNS Server service on both DNS servers.
    3. Manually copy the entire contents (subfolders included) of the %SystemRoot%\System32\DNS folder from the source server to the destination server.
    4. On the current (old, source) DNS server, start Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).
    5. Locate and click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\DNS\Zones
    6. Export the Zones entry to a registry file.
    7. Locate and click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DNS Server\Zones
    8. Export the Zones entry to a registry file.
    9. On the destination (new) DNS server, double-click each registry file to import the Zones subkeys into the registry.
    10. Bring the current DNS server down and transfer its IP address to the destination DNS server.
    11. On the destination DNS server, start the DNS Server service. To initiate the registration of the server's A and PTR resource records, run the following command at a command prompt: ipconfig /registerdns
    12. If this server is also a domain controller, stop and restart the Net Logon service to register the Service (SRV) records, or run the following command at a command prompt: netdiag /fix
    13. The standard zones that were previously Active Directory-integrated can be converted back to Active Directory-integrated on the replacement DNS server if it is a domain controller.
    14. Verify that the SOA resource records on each zone contains the correct name for the primary server and that the NS resource records for the zone(s) are correct.

Thanks In Advanced,
    Thu Ya

Re: Removing Primany DNS server

Hi Winthura,

To me, the method that you have stated is very drawn out and a lot of it is unnecessary.

The task should only involve installing DNS on a second server and then making that server the primary one.

The following KB gives an easy to follow guide.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323383

Ste
    Steven Roberts
    IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Comment

If both are AD integrated, just uninstall the DNS role on the first server and (obviously) change DHCP / static clients to not attempt to use it any more
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ste and Ossian,
        Thanks you for you help and it's very useful.
        One more question, Please.
        After uninstallind the DNS role from Old server, Do I need to remove all DNS records from New DNS server or will they be removed automatically when I uninstall the DNS role from Old sever?

Thanks in Advance,

Thu Ya

Comment

The only thing you may need to remove (although should be done automatically) is the NS record pointing to the old server
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes, Exactly.

I just need to remove NS records of old server manually and working fine.

Thanks again!!

Thu Ya

Comment

No problem -- glad its all working
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Working...
              X