setting up .com .net etc..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• setting up .com .net etc..

Ok, so I have a domain xyzcorp.com and they also have .net and xyzcorptwo.com

I have all of the xyzcorp.com dns entries made is there an easy way to manage the .net and xyzcorptwo.com without having to re do all of the entires? I don't see an alias or copy function with windows DNS server. I am used to using BIND, so I am not sure how to get this to work. If I hasve to recreate all of the entries thats fine I guess, just a bit of a pita thats all.

If anyone knows that would be awesome.

Re: setting up .com .net etc..

I do not beleive there is anyway via DNS to "mirror" the .com zones as replicas. What I have done in the past is on the "mirror" zones, only create alias (CNAME) records ponting back to the "main" zone. That way, you only have to update one zone when changing the properties of a record. Of course, with some records, such as MX, you really shouldn't use a CNAME.
    ________
    easy vape review
    Last edited by [JM]; 24th January 2011, 18:11.
    JM @ IT Training & Consulting
    http://www.itgeared.com

Comment

Look into DNSCMD

Export zone records:
      Code:
      dnscmd /zoneexport domain.com domain.com.dns

Import Zone records:
      Code:
      dnscmd /zoneadd NewDomain.com/primary /file “domain.com.dns” /load
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Another way to do it (although it's a bit old school) is to copy the zone files from the system32\dns folder on the source server to the other server, put them in the system32\dns folder and create zones that match the zone file names (which should be the same as the zone names).

Comment

Working...
        X