Active directory Domain Name not allowing access to internet site

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active directory Domain Name not allowing access to internet site

I have an active directory DC with 5 other machines connected to the server. The domain name say.. mydomain.com . I have also registered mydomain.com and my website is hosted by a third party hosting company. On the server I am also running DHCP and DNS.

The problem I am having is that I can not connect to my website site from my network in the office, thanks to the domain name selected while installing active directories. All other sites are fine.

ping mydomain.com gets a reply from my servers ip address.

same for ping server.mydomain.com .. The server machine is named "server"

Its a very basic setup. How can I resolve this without changing the Domain name.

DNS settings itself are very basic, with forward lookup zone, reverse lookup zone and forwarders.

I am not sure if the resolution lies in DNS. Just a thought.

Thanks

Re: Active directory Domain Name not allowing access to internet site

you could try setting up an A record for WWW.mydomain.com and putting in the external IP address, then educating your staff to use that subdomain (ducks for cover ) to access the web site.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Active directory Domain Name not allowing access to internet site

Ok, so your domain name is "mydomain.com"

This domain is used for internal resolution as well as existing in the public domain.

When you ping server.mydomain.com it will look at DNS and give you an internal IP.

If you ping www.mydomain.com it will look at the DNS zone, see that there is no www and time out.

All you need to do is add the required A record that you need, let's say www.mydomain.com and give that the external IP address of the website.
      Steven Roberts
      IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Comment

Working...
      X