Cannot find websites

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot find websites

There are a handful of websites that we are unable to reach and they are failing at the DNS level.

We are running 2 2008 DNS servers that are also DCs in the enviroment. Both servers are configured to use root hints.

Right now, to correct the issue I take the domain and do a conditional forward to a public DNS.

Is there anyway to correct this without having to put in a conditional forward everytime?
    MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Re: Cannot find websites

Put in a permanent forwarder?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yeah we always use a forwarder rather than just root hints. Either OpenDNS works well or Google's DNS servers seem to be pretty good (IP Address = 8.8.8.8 )

I often found just using root hints it wouldn't always resolve - perhaps because of a timeout as it had to query a root server, wait for a response, query another server, wait, query etc etc
      Last edited by biggles77; 18th June 2010, 15:36. Reason: Fix the 8) smilie problem.

Comment

I went ahead and put in a permanent forward for Google's DNS and my ISP's DNS as a backup.

Everything is flowing like milk and honey!

Or beer and pretzels...whichever you prefer.
        MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

Definitely
          Well done!
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X