DNS in DC2 Did Not Replicate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS in DC2 Did Not Replicate

Hi guys Im having a problem. I Added an DC2 to my system and Active directory seem to be fine (It replicated) But the DNS did not. A year ago i had this tested but all seems to work fine. AD and DNS replicated and I did the same configurations (I think so). But now I dont know why DNS is not showing up in my dc2. I did manually Run Replicate now but nothing seems to work. Am i missing something? Please help!! TIA
    Ronuel
    MCP
    There is only one way to find Out..Its to try it and/or Do it...

Re: DNS in DC2 Did Not Replicate

Since you have a working DNS server, probably easiest to remove it from the problem server, clean all references to that from the main server and reinstall the role

But you say AD "seems to be fine" -- worth checking it out in more detail and being sure it is fine as AD and DNS are closely integrated.

If the second server is a DC only, IMHO remove all risk by unpromoing it, disjoining from the domain and a full rebuild with another name!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Actually what i did was manually install the DNS component and it was replicated. but i cant figure out why it did not do it automatically when i installed AD. or do i really have to install dns component manually? Or should it really be installed when i install AD in my DC2? Thanks
      Ronuel
      MCP

Comment

DNS is only installed automatically on your first DC (as AD requires DNS)
        On all Additional DCs it is optional (but strongly recommended )

Well done for fixing it
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          DNS is only installed automatically on your first DC (as AD requires DNS)
          Ow.. I see..So its normal then?That makes me happy Ossian .Thanks a bunch.. Ok on DC1 should i enable the Allow Zone Transfers when i install DNS in DC2? Because i did not enable Allow zone tranfers in DC1 but when I added DNS component on DC2 it was automatically replicated. Or allowing zone transfer is only applicable if im creating a secondary zone? So whats the best practise?
          Ronuel
          MCP

Comment

Since the DNS zone is AD integrated, you should not need to set up zone transfers, but you will need both DCs listed as name servers
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Where to set AD integreated mode on PDC or ADC ?

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
              Since the DNS zone is AD integrated, you should not need to set up zone transfers, but you will need both DCs listed as name servers

Please let me now On Which server ? set DNS Zone in AD integrated ?? on PDC(DC1) or On ADC(DC2)

thanks and waiting.

Comment

Re: Where to set AD integreated mode on PDC or ADC ?

The zone should be AD integrated on all the servers. Make sure you choose the same replication option for each
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Working...
                X