Dns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dns

right now I am able to ping a machine that isnt online, when I check my dns server the machine name isnt listed but the IP that is returned from ping is assigned to another machine. Any ideas why this is, I have cleared the cache on my local system and still returns the same information. If you look at the image I sent you can see that I am able to ping install3 which is the machine that isnt online. are there any ideas out there.
    Attached Files

Re: Dns

In the screenshot nslookup is showing that it is resolving on the DNS server.

You might have some stale records in your DNS zone.

Are you looking in the forward lookup zone on the DNS server to see if the computer is there?
    Have you cleared the cache on the DNS server? (DNS console, right-click on the server, clear cache)
    It's not in the hosts file on the workstation, correct?
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

at one point or another, install3 did actually have that IP address, and it auto-registered itself.

make the server that SHOULD have that ip address register itself by typing "ipconfig /registerdns" at a command prompt, then review your event log to make sure it happened.

when install3 is powered back on, make sure it registers itself with the appropriate address
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

At one time install3 did have that IP. The problem happens when install3 is not on the network and another machine was asiggned that IP but when I ping install3 it still replies.
        Nothing has been configured in the hosts file and I did try clearing the cache but the problem was still there

Comment

Well if you cleared the cache then it has to still be in the zone. Delete the record from the zone if it no longer is correct.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

To avoid a similar situation in the future look into aging and scavanging options in the DNS server.
            Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Thank you everyone I think we got it taken care of. I set scavaging and aging to 1 hour

Comment

Also, set the properties in DHCP to clean up after a lease is released. Open DHCP, highlight the server name, rt-click, properties/DNS tab/ click the relevant options to discard from DNS when lease is over.
                This is (sadly) one place where UTFW does NOT apply!
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                X