Moving DNS (NO AD) from server 2000 to server 2008 R2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving DNS (NO AD) from server 2000 to server 2008 R2

I have a registered public DNS server on W2k that I want to migrate to W2K8 R2. The IP address must be moved to the new server as it is a registered server.

I have a procedure that appears viable.

My issue is regarding the servers name. IE Must I rename the new server to the original servers name as well as the migrate the IP address.

Lastly I do not have the step 4 Reg key. I have the step 6 reg file. Do I move it to the location shown in step 6 or does 2008 R2 use the key in step 4 possibly?

Here is the procedure I have. n Thanks Doug

To move the primary MS DNS server config to a new server, using the existing zone files:

1. Stop the DNS Server service on both DNS servers.
    2. Manually copy the entire contents (subfolders included) of the %SystemRoot%\System32\DNS folder from the source server to the destination server.
    3. On the current DNS server, start Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).
    4. Locate and click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\DNS\Zones
    5. Export the Zones entry to a registry file.
    6. Locate and click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DNS Server\Zones
    7. Export the Zones entry to a registry file.
    8. On the destination DNS server, double-click each registry file to import the Zonessubkeys into the registry.
    9. Bring the current DNS server down and transfer its IP address to the destination DNS server.
    10. On the destination DNS server, start the DNS Server service. To initiate the registration of the server's A and PTR resource records, run the following command at a command prompt:
    ipconfig /registerdns
Working...
X