Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS Server not pointing to static IP

Hi All,

I have a problem with user outside of my LAN could NOT view my website using my domain name. But user able to view it using my static IP. Here is my current network setting:

1. I have three computers, one run Server 2003 (act as Domain Controller, DHCP and DNS server) and two run Win XP. All LAN clients are able to join domain, access network resources and view website using my domain name no problem.

2. Router has static IP assigned by ISP and configured with NAT enabled, ports 80 and 53 forwarded to Server 2003.

When I asked my friend in other state to nslookup my domain it appears DNS server pointing to its private IP but NOT router static IP. I have checked the DNS server configuration it seems performing as should be. I must miss configure it somewhere.

Please help how to resolve this so user able to view my website.
    Thanks,
    fixzit

Re: DNS Server not pointing to static IP

Have you added your ISP DNS server record to the DNS forwarders list ?

Comment

Originally posted by jainal View Post
      Have you added your ISP DNS server record to the DNS forwarders list ?
      Thanks, I just added ISP DNS servers to the forwarder list, but user still unable to view my website . Do I need to uninstall DNS server and re-install and re-configure it again?

Comment

Is the host header of the site set to your domain name?
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Are you trying to run your own public DNS server?
          Usually you would call your ISP and let them add a DNS record for the website pointing to your public IP.
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
            Are you trying to run your own public DNS server?
            Usually you would call your ISP and let them add a DNS record for the website pointing to your public IP.
            Yes, I would like to host my own DNS....

I have contacted the company which I registered my Domain Name and asked them to point the Domain Name to my static IP. Ohh Ok..., so I still need to ask my ISP to add a DNS record for the website pointing to my public IP.
            Thanks for your advice, I never tought of that, I thought forwarding port 53 will be sufficient. I will ask them on monday...

Comment

But why do you want to host your own public DNS server?
              It will probably give you loads and loads of traffic... Leaving it by the ISP is IMHO the better option
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                But why do you want to host your own public DNS server?
                It will probably give you loads and loads of traffic... Leaving it by the ISP is IMHO the better option
                Yeah...I am aware of that. But this is for the sake of my excercise and I just need to learn how to host my own website and DNS in real situation... When the traffic is getting out of control probably I just turn off the server. It only small network.

Anyway how is it work once the ISP add DNS record to its DNS server, Do I need to assign public IP to my DNS server or just put ISP DNS server in forwarder list? Will it still work for LAN clients eventhough the Server 2003 is behind NAT?

Thanks

Comment

Still though, you have to setup/configure name servers, DNS servers and many many more...
                  Just don't do it. In many real situations customers will not host their own external DNS server. Even the largest companies I work for won't setup their own public DNS servers. I would really recommand you setting up your own public DNS server. Also you really need to keep in mind that for internal usage you also need DNS but it's used on different way.

However, I think your first step should be learning how DNS works. There are loads of articles about it on the Internet. Using google will help you with this.
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands

Comment

Get a NetRegistry ZoneManager account. http://www.netregistry.com.au/domain...in-Manager.php This takes the hassle out of asking your ISP to make DNS changes when you are playing with settings. It is seriously worth the money which can be claimed if you use it in line with your work as a tech (or similar). This account works irrespective of who your ISP may be.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thank you all, especially both Dumber and biggles77, yeah I will let other company to host my public DNS to avoid the hassle asking ISP and ended up going around the cirlce from one department to the other..too much headache...

Comment

Working...
                      X