Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS - Use Cnames or Wildcards ?

Hello,

I was wandering which is the best option to choose working with DNS and my website:

Cnames or Wildcards (* will point to the website IP)

Thanks,
    HadvoraMaya

Re: DNS - Use Cnames or Wildcards ?

i'm unclear as to exactly what you are trying to acheive ?? can you give me some examples?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Re: DNS - Use Cnames or Wildcards ?

Wildcards can be good if you have multiple subdomains and want to capture all possible misspellings. Sometimes wildcards can cause issues such as with Outlook Anywhere which actually relies on a DNS resolution failure to then try SRV records. Actually, that's less of a problem with wildcards and more of a problem with Microsoft depending on a failure process that isn't guaranteed, but I digress.

Were you thinking of CNAME'ing some common subdomains or misspellings of subdomains?
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Working...
      X