Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two DNSs in One Domain

Hi guys,

I just found out that there are two DNS servers in my environment. One is on a Windows 2000 SBS serving as AD, DC, DNS, & DHCP; the other one is on a Windows 2003 SBS serving as an application server in my environment. I received a lot of complaints recently regarding that laptop users with DHCP turned on for the wired LAN are experiencing problems accessing to mapped local resources. I believe it has something to do with the DNS servers.

Could anyone help me in this? Thanks in advance.
    Mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open!

Re: Two DNSs in One Domain

Two DHCP servers WILL cause problems -- better to turn one off
    IMHO, although both will need DNS for AD to function, you will be best pointing clients at one or the other, and making sure records are registered for the "non used" server

I presume both SBS domains are on the same subnet?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes, they are under the same subnet.

So how do i know which one is the primary DNS? and how can i detach or uninstall the DNS service on the other server?

Comment

You cannot uninstall DNS from either server -- Active Directory will NOT function without it
        You can use DHCP (on one server only) to get clients to point at that server for DNS and ignore the other one

But I think you also need to go back a few steps and work out why you have 2 SBS domains (they cannot be part of the same one) and rethink your whole network design!
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

hmm...

Actually i just joined this company three weeks back and the previous guy built this network.

I believe one of the ADs is actively using, while the other one is not functioning at all; because when i see the Forward Lookup Zones in the primary DNS, i could see a domain name listed underneath there, and all the computer names and IP were listed under the domain as well. While on the other DNS, there were nothing under Forward Lookup Zones. So in this case, can i remove the DNS service in the non-working DNS service server?

In addition, you said one network cannot have two DHCP servers. Will this work if 1) have a wireless router work as the DHCP server for wireless users; and 2) have DHCP configured on the AD, DC & DNS server to serve as DHCP server for wired connection primarily for company laptop users who use wired connection?

Thank you in advance.

Comment

Don't bother with routers supplying DHCP services -- Windows DHCP will happily work over a wireless acces point and will give a lot more functionality than a basic DHCP setup

If you have two SBS setups serving the same clients you have problems -- get a good consultant to analyse the network (I'm available if you pay my flights ) and suggest how to configure it properly -- it will involve some server rebuilds.
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

lol, i don't think my company can afford to pay you the flight to here, but i wish that you could patiently and kindly provide your professional input to help me over the project i have.

For the first stage, I am planning to install the DHCP service on my Windows SBS 2000 which is also my AD, DC & DNS.

In the second stage, i am planning to bring in a new server with Windows SBS 2008 and migrate/upgrade it to my primary DC, AD, DNS & DHCP, then upgrade the existing SBS 2000 to SBS 2008 then serve as secondary AD & DC for fault tolerance perhaps as well as disaster recovery in another building.

Comment

Working...
              X