Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS Data bakcup

Hello everyone,

This is my first question in this forum. I need to know if I can only backup DNS data (like parameters, configurations etc.). Also want to know where DNS data are located in windows??
    Any help will be appreciated..

Thanks
    PK

Re: DNS Data bakcup

What DNS server are you running? Windows DNS? Are you running DNS on a Domain Controller? Are your DNS zones Active Directory integrated?

Comment

Re: DNS Data backup

Very sorry for late feedback to your reply. Its a Windows DNS, installed on Domain Controller. (its a SBS2008 box).And it is AD integrated.

Thanks

Comment

If the zone is AD integrated, then the zone is stored in AD. It can be backed up as part of the system state backup.
        Alternatively, there is a great tool/script called DNSDump that works fine with 2000/2003 servers but I am not sure if it has been amended for 2008.
        Also the builtin command DNScmd with the /ZoneExport switch can backup the zone to a file.
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Hi

If the zones are primary and secondary then you can get the zone files from the following location and copy the same on some other location,

%systemroot%\system32\dns\

if the zones are on the DNS server that you have configured on AD domain controller or the zone is active directory integrated then the DNS backup will be in the system state backup .

you can use dnscmd command line to take the backup of the active directory integrated zone

Please let me know if you need any other help

Thanx
          Vijay
          ________
          Wendie 99
          Last edited by vsharma; 10th April 2011, 06:39.

Comment

Working...
          X