Dns & dhcp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dns & dhcp

Iíve been having a few issues with file & print sharing & also DNS, I canít seam to connect to some PCs when I should be able to. I think this may be down to either the DHCP or DNS we have set up.

The DHCP enabled on our local LAN woks on a 192.168.0.x range. We also use the following ranges:

192.168.2.x - used for servers
    192.168.10.x - used for computers on a different subnet / building
    192.168.102.x - used for VOIP telecoms

Iíve noticed that some computers have a DNS A Record pointer in the forward lookup zones which is different form the record in the reverse lookup zone. I also spotted that the IP address of the a PC in the forward zone is in use be a totally different PC in the DHCP address pool. As an example:

DNS Forward Lookup Zone
    Computer001 = 192.168.0.55

DNS Reverse Lookup Zone
    Computer001 = 192.168.0.80

DHCP Reservation Pool
    Computer055 Ė 192.168.0.55

My question is how are the DNS A-records created, is this something that has to be done manually, or are they added automatically by something? I donít want to go changing things until I know how this works.

Finally I also noticed that the DHCP has a yellow exclamation mark against the DHCP server Ė see attached, any suggestions how to find out what the issue is?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Deland01; 17th February 2010, 11:49.

Re: Dns & dhcp

File Attached
    Attached Files

Comment

Iíve attached my DHCP options, would it mess things up if I ticked the option circled in red. Looking at the state of the DNS things arenít updating as they should be.
      Attached Files

Comment

I'm a bit leery of opening up an unknown zip file. Is it a screenshot? Could you simply attach the jpg files to a post? It would be more helpful to future lurkers in this thread as well.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

I cant attach a JPEG or BMP as the uploader window says

DHCP Error.bmp:
          This is not a valid image file.

The image was a screen dump saved in MS Paint so Im unsure why it wont upload. I just zipped the JPEG & BMP file.

Comment

Convert it to a JPG or PNG. Anyway, it will be a quicker upload for you and download for us.
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
            -------------------------------
            Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
            Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
            Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
            Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Looks like we are still having the image upload problem. We are trying to get this rectified ASAP. Sorry guys.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X