Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS and DHCP problem in AD integrated mode on Windows Server 2003 Std. x64

Hi All,

Id like to make my IP address management simplified by automatically configuring the DHCP server and DNS Server in one same Windows Server 2003 x64.

On The DHCP:
    See the attachment DHCP.jpg
    In the DNS Dynamic update credentials I put the DOMAIN\Administrator credentials.

On The DNS:
    See the attachment DNS.jpg

Is there anything that I should configure to make the DHCP and DNS update automatic?

Because Im having the following problem:
    1. User cannot get IP address (IP conflict) even though I already statically assigned DHCP using the laptop MAC address.
    2. The A record of certain servers got deleted therefore only the CNAME exist.
    3. DNS entry point to wrong workstation or got duplicated entries with same IP but two different A record for two different PC (I want to connect to PC1 through Remote Desktop but it bring me into PC2).

Im thinking to create all A record and get rid of all the CNAME.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    AWT
    Attached Files

Re: DNS and DHCP problem in AD integrated mode on Windows Server 2003 Std. x64

I have noticed few things that maybe could be different:
    you probably dont need update statistics automaticaly in dhcp.
    Do you realy have some NT4 stations? if you dont you dont need dynamicaly update records for clients that do not request updates.
    Instead of Alwasy dynamicaly update records you should probably use update on request.
    Scaveging properties.. think refresh interval is to short default is 7 days and your is 1hour.
    What does it mean ''statically assigned DHCP''?
    The chase is better than the catch

Comment

Change the following settings in your DHCP configuration ---

1. Under Dynamic update choose "Dynamically update DNS A & PTR records only if requested by the dhcp clients"

2. You need not to specify any credentials in the "DNS dynamic updates registration credentials" as per my knowledge.

Double check your DNS configuration too...whether reverse lookup is configured properly and whether in DHCP scope option you've mentioned the name server's ip accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by ip2host View Post
        I have noticed few things that maybe could be different:
        you probably dont need update statistics automaticaly in dhcp.
        Do you realy have some NT4 stations? if you dont you dont need dynamicaly update records for clients that do not request updates.
        Instead of Alwasy dynamicaly update records you should probably use update on request.
        Scaveging properties.. think refresh interval is to short default is 7 days and your is 1hour.
        What does it mean ''statically assigned DHCP''?
        No I don't have, but some of them are Linux Virtual Machine.

Static Assigned DHCP --> Assigning IP Address automatically for a specific host with a certain MAC address.

Comment

Originally posted by jainal View Post
          Change the following settings in your DHCP configuration ---

1. Under Dynamic update choose "Dynamically update DNS A & PTR records only if requested by the dhcp clients"

2. You need not to specify any credentials in the "DNS dynamic updates registration credentials" as per my knowledge.

Double check your DNS configuration too...whether reverse lookup is configured properly and whether in DHCP scope option you've mentioned the name server's ip accordingly.
          Hai Jainal,

thanks for the suggestion, I shall double check with the PTR records, hopefully they're synchronzied when I manually delete the IP address records manually and when the DHCP assign neew IP address.

Comment

Originally posted by Albertwt
            Static Assigned DHCP --> Assigning IP Address automatically for a specific host with a certain MAC address.
            For future reference this is a Reservation in DHCP.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
              For future reference this is a Reservation in DHCP.
              Thanks for the correction, I appreciate that for my future knowledge.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
              X