No announcement yet.

DHCP assistance

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHCP assistance

Hello everyone, Im an IT guy but not focused really on networking, I have a Cisco ISA550 security router/firewall that is DHCP server enabled on LAN. I am experiencing problems on running out of IP addresses reaching my maximum Class C subnet (192.168.2.x I am thinking of re-subnetting a Class B network to increase number of IP's (as everyone always suggest) but soon as I verify first to Cisco Vendor if my device is capable, they have just advised me to buy their ASA series which can handle more clients than the ISA.(thinking it might just be a marketing strategy) I also have a Windows Server 2008 R2 running but DHCP role is inactive. Is it also a good way just to turn this role active and just create a superscope to resolve my IP problems and turning off the DHCP server on the ISA?

Never tried this 2 ideas before so appreciate if you can suggest me a solution on which of the two is more appropriate thing to do.

***Update: Now I actually tried doing superscope on the server machine, turning off the DHCP on ISA, and enabled its DHCP relay pointing out IP address of the DHCP Server but my superscope still on yellow exclamation mark. Did I miss something on my configurations? any additional configurations on my ISA? hope your familiar with the device.

Currently working scope: ( reserved) client start IP from 2.11-254 |
    Superscope added: start IP from 3.1-254 |

Thanks in advance!!

Re: DHCP assistance

I don't know the Cisco device but are you able to change the Subnet Mask to /23 or even /22 (depending on the number of IPs required)
    Departed: 23rd December 2015

Re: DHCP assistance

Thanks Biggles! Im gonna try this solutions..