Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• server 2008 to set proxy include smart devices

Hi All

I need to set the proxy server on all devices on my network.

Can I use dhcp for this? and is this setting on the scope or server and which setting etc.

There will be smart devices such as iphones etc. and I want them to get the proxy setting pushed to them also

They already get their ip configuration from dhcp currently so I was hoping to just add the proxy detail to the DHCP server.

Any info?

Thanks for reading.

Re: server 2008 to set proxy include smart devices

You can add DHCP option 252, "auto-proxy-config", to your local DHCP scope/server. This string option should contain an HTTP URL pointing to a file called "wpad.dat" on some web server, and that file should in turn contain a JavaScript function for proxy autoconfiguration (as per the old Netscape "proxy.pac" standard).

Alternatively (or additionally), you can create a DNS A record in your local zone with the name "wpad", pointing to a web server which has the "wpad.dat" file in its root directory.

For more information on the Web Proxy Autodiscovery Protocol, see this Wikipedia article and its references.

Note that a client is free to ignore both these mechanisms, so if you want to force everybody to use a proxy server, you'll also have to block direct access in the firewall/router. A transparent proxy could also be worth considering, but that will only work for unencrypted HTTP traffic.

Comment

If you use WPAD.DAT don't forget to Remove WPAD.DAT from DNS Block List
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

So I would I have to build a web server and learn Java programming?

Thanks

Comment

No, you wouldn't.

You would need to add the web server role to one of your servers (or use an existing web server), download one of the many sample wpad.dat files from the Internet, and modify the IP addresses and/or hostnames to match your network.

wpad.dat contains a small JavaScript function. Even if you've never done any programming, you should be able to tell just by looking at a sample how it's supposed to work. Still, if you get stuck, just ask here.

(And JavaScript is not Java. At all.)

Comment

I see.

Is this just the vanilla web server role or do I need any configuration on it

Thanks its looking clearer now

Comment

About implementing WPAD

Configuring the WPAD mechanism consists of the following steps:
              • Configure a WPAD server
              • Configure DNS or DHCP so that clients can present a query to discover the location of the WPAD server.
              Removing WPAD from DNS block list.

dont worry, its easy stuff and you wont have to learn anything if you dont want. it should only take about an hour start to finish worst case scenario... i routinely set up a proxy server with content filtering and when im finished with the server, i implement the wpad.dat in IIS within a few minutes.
              its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
              Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Credit = Thank you Microsoft TechNet

To create an option 252 entry in DHCP
                1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click DHCP.
                2. In the console tree, right-click the applicable DHCP server, click Set Predefined Options, and then click Add.
                3. In Name, type WPAD.
                4. In Code, type 252.
                5. In Data type, select String, and then click OK.
                6. In String, type http://Computer_Name:Port/wpad.dat where:
                  • Computer_Name is the fully qualified domain name of the ISA Server computer.
                  • Port is the port number on which automatic discovery information is published. You can specify any port number. By default, ISA Server publishes automatic discovery information on port 8080.
                7. Right-click Server options, and then click Configure options.
                8. Confirm that Option 252 is selected.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi

I see that there is mention of ISA in that guide and on MS guides.

Does this mean I have to setup an ISA (Internet security and acceleration) server?

Thanks

Comment

I think you will find that by using ISA (or TMG as the latest version was called) you could use the ISA Server as the Default Gateway instead of the Router. This would give you the Proxy option you so desired.

ISA is not essential for you but rather an option to the solution you wanted. Also keep in mind the cost of implementing an ISA Server in your organisation.

If you wanted something like ISA, there are free Open Source options available that are quite good though I would need to look up the names of the software now.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I dont want to add anything that is not needed presently.

So where i see ISA server on the guide do I instead just replace that with my default gateway?

Thanks

Comment

Please post link to the guide you are referring to. Thanks.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                        X