Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHCP on Which Windows Server OS

Hi,

One of our location e hvae Windows 2003 STD Server, 1 is PDC and 2nd is ADC.
    in our network we dont have DHCP Server ! Now we looking to configure it.

My Query is Can i Instal it on One of this Server ? or We have a Application Server Windows 2008R2 ? its a member of our Domain.

Re: DHCP on Which Windows Server OS

All windows servers will allow you to add the DHCP role, but if you are using IPv6 with DHCP you will need to use 2008 or above

Personally I would set up a split scope DHCP on both DCs but there are security arguments for not doing so - research is needed first - see: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sh...KYba4wbW94GwBQ
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Also worth baring in mind that a router can also be configured to handle DHCP.
      Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
      I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
      MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Originally posted by uk_network View Post
        Also worth baring in mind that a router can also be configured to handle DHCP.
        But not a good idea in an AD environment as it will not update DNS (and normally will not provide the AD DNS servers)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ossian, I would usually opt for windows dhcp over router/switch dhcp. Windows dhcp is more feature rich and supports secure dynamic dns registration.
          But there are times where a Windows dhcp might not be an option with remote sites and it makes more sense to have dhcp handled by the router.
          Some of the customers we support which are medium sized business use DHCP offered by the router and we don't have any issues with them been setup in this way.

If router dhcp was the way to go, the client can update its self if DHCP is configured to own and control records it updates in DNS.
          http://msmvps.com/blogs/acefekay/arc...ate-group.aspx
          Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
          I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
          MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Hi,
            Thanks for Valuable replies ! As I search I gone through Some Blogs, google Search, Microsoft forum too. Not found any proper answer.

Some of the sites has mentioned like Microsoft recommends the DHCP on Domain, for Windows Server 2000 they has Facing some Problems.

Now here in our case If We have Windos 2003 Servers As DC and ADC can I put one More Role on it ?
            DHCP Cosumes Hard Disk Space ?

Please suggest.

Comment

You could also look at having DHCP on a single server and then each site using an IPHELPER to send DHCP requests back to the server and get an address from afar.

However this could potentially cause issues with clients not receiving IP addresses in time, i can't remember what the timeout values are, and ending up with an APIPA.

IMHO if you have a DC local to that site then install and run DHCP on it.

Comment

Agree with Wullie - put it on a DC

Yes, the DHCP database takes up space, but very little (a few megabytes unless you have thousands of clients)
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Thansk For Proper Suggetions.

I have Some more Queries in same regards, can i Continue in this thread? or I can Create a New One?

Comment

Just carry on with this thread - a mod will split it if it goes too far off topic
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

We have Two Plants wich connected via WIreless; and about 50 computers has each plant.

Sometime due to some reasone connectivity get lossed in this situation How can i manage Each site with there seperate IP range Via DHCP... ?

Only IP reservation will help here !

Comment

Do you have a server in each plant? If so, make it a DHCP server for the correct scope for that plant.

Since they have different scopes, presumably you have a VPN between them, or do they connect some other way?

Some actual examples of IPCONFIG/ALL output would help this make sense
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

Hi,

No its not connected Via VPN its a simple Wireless Point to Point Connectivity.
                          IP address we using 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254.

I have another server at another Plant with Diffrent Domain Name.

Plant A - (Abc.com) Users of this Plant Accesss own and Plant B resources.
                          Plant B - (Xyz.com) Users of this Plant Accesss own and Plant A resources.

Comment

it's going to be tough to acheive what you want with a wireless Point to Point bridge, and a single broadcast domain.

The ideal outcome there would be:

[PlantA] <----- wifi bridge -------> [PlantB]
                            192.168.1.0 /24 192.168.2.0/24

then each site has it's own Server, which provides DHCP for each scope
                            A router would be needed to tell the two networks how to talk to each other (or at the very least, static routes at each side of the bridge)

If you have the same DHCP scope being issued by two different servers on each side f the bridge, it;s going to cause a problem.
                            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

and a single broadcast domain.
                              we have Diffrent Domain in each Plants; any option of DHCP as Domain name base....?

Thanks for the shared Suggestion; but Some i=users has the Access of Files servers for Both Plantsm, because of this we have created Two AD accounts for Some users.

Comment

Working...
                              X