Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IP address Exhausted

Hi,

I use Class C IP address in my network and now all my 254 Ip Addresses are going to be engaged and I can't add one more PC in to my network. Is any other solution there other than changing to Class B ?

I use a DHCP server and AD on a 2008 Server.

Thanks,
    Manoj Krishnan

Re: IP address Exhausted

You don't have to stick to the classes. That hasn't been necessary for at least two decades. If you're using RFC 1918 addresses, you can "supernet" a few class C networks to create a larger network.

If you're actually using publicly routable addresses, which sounds unlikely, it's another matter. You can still forget about using a class B network, but you'll have to ask your ISP to allocate another network.

Which addresses are you currently using?

Comment

Do you mean Class A?

I'm pretty sure you can simply change the subnet mask from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.254.0

That will give you another range of addresses to use with minimal discomfort. Check out the number of hosts in the Class A chart:

http://www.pantz.org/software/tcpip/subnetchart.html
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by manukriz View Post
        Hi,

I use Class C IP address in my network and now all my 254 Ip Addresses are going to be engaged and I can't add one more PC in to my network. Is any other solution there other than changing to Class B ?

I use a DHCP server and AD on a 2008 Server.

Thanks,
        Manoj Krishnan
        Do you have more than 254 clients??

as has been mentioned setup a new scope and grab a bit from the 3rd octet. This should give you 512 - 2 usable addresses, i hope thats right lol.

Comment

Working...
        X