Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TMG lan users ip configurations

Hi,
    I want to know the recommended IP configurations for LAN users. I have my TMG works as a firewall in the domain environment. the IP range is
    192.168.1.0-256
    DNS is 192.168.1.1
    domain controller is 192.168.1.1
    TMG internal Card is 192.168.1.100

I want to install DHCP service so that my main question is that do I have to include the default gate way and DNS? My plan is to be the DNS 192.168.1.1 and DG is 192.168.1.100
    is it ok? and is there any other considerations?
    Thanks

Re: TMG lan users ip configurations

Yes, include the gateway and the DNS details as scope options in DHCP. If you're using a Windows DHCP server (and I'd recommend you do so you get dynamic DNS updates from the clients) the wizard will walk you through it.

You may also want to look into WPAD (Windows Proxy Auto-Discovery) which can automatically configure your client browser's web proxy - especially handy if you are doing web filtering on the TMG.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
      Yes, include the gateway and the DNS details as scope options in DHCP. If you're using a Windows DHCP server (and I'd recommend you do so you get dynamic DNS updates from the clients) the wizard will walk you through it.

You may also want to look into WPAD (Windows Proxy Auto-Discovery) which can automatically configure your client browser's web proxy - especially handy if you are doing web filtering on the TMG.
      Hi mr cruachan. Thanks for the response. When I configure WPAD, Will this configuration be automatically applied for the other browsers such as Google Chrome and Firefox?
      Thanks again

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Pro...overy_Protocol

WPAD details.. should explain for you
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tiger1 View Post
          Hi mr cruachan. Thanks for the response. When I configure WPAD, Will this configuration be automatically applied for the other browsers such as Google Chrome and Firefox?
          Thanks again
          Indeed it will, very useful when you can't get management to agree to a standard browser policy.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post

Hi Cruachan, Thanks for the response. I have done the configurations for the WPAD using AD Marker. the problem, however, is that the clients coudn't automatically detect the TMG using Forefront TMG client. the message is "Failed to detect Forefront TMG. When I browse the network from the Domain controller, I can see the TMG computer. I cant, however ping from this DC to the TMG. The TMG can do that. I believe that there are miss configurations in the firewall policy
            Thanks again

Comment

it's fairly common for a TMG server to firewall itself up so that it doesn't respond to ping etc.

ping's a good way to test the livelihood of a server, but it's not necessarily reliable and it's not the be-all and end-all of tests.

have you tried telnet tests to the proxy port ?
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

hi everyone, thanks for the response, Ping is now fine after creating a role allowing for ping. The issues now, TMG server seems to be not able to map to other network resources such as pcs and printers. I have enabled network discovery but nothing has happened. The most important issue is that the clients couldn't detect TMG server. I have tried using AD key marker, DHCP and DNS buy none of them works. I have excluded wpad from dns block list. What is the potential problem with this?
                Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X